Thursday, May 19, 2011

My first tutorial: Let there be light!!

 Hey lovelies! I'm having a nice but busy week! Other than the small hotel renovation that I'm currently involved with, I'm also doing my "spring cleaning" this week. It traditionally includes washing blankets and curtains, insides of cupboards, carpets and in general cleaning everything that you're too lazy to clean during the rest of the year!! As much as I love you, our relationship hasn't yet reached the point where you get to see my cleaning outfit... 
 So here's a tutorial instead: how you can make your own lovely DIY lamp shade with just ribbons!!  


You will need:

1. Your trusted glue-gun.
2. Ribbons - any color (I'm using blue and green since it matches our living room. You can make it with one color for a more "serious look" or multi-colored for a kid's funky room. Just use your imagination!)
3. Cord (to hang it)
4. A plastic cap/lid (This will be used for hanging it as well. The one from "Pringles" is ideal, I'm using one from an espresso box here)
5. 4 pieces of wood to make your frame (you can use three for a triangular shape, or make a round one with wire! I'm using some spare wood from a broken bread-cutter that I had around - recycling rules! )
6. Scissors 
7. Coffee or other beverage of your choice to get you going!! This will take a while...


What you do:

a. Glue the four sticks of wood to create your frame. Do that first, to allow some time to cool off!

b. Cut pieces of both ribbons in various lengths depending how low you want it to hang. A medium length is from 30 cm (11.8 inches) to 60 cm (23.6 inches). If you're a control freak, you can measure your ribbon to create a variety of pieces cut 30, 40, 50 and 60 cm long. But if you do it randomly it will add a nice, care-free touch!!


c. Start gluing!!! Use a drop of silicon on the three sides of your stick and wrap your ribbon around it!


d. Keep gluing! Here's the part where you need to be patient! 


e. When you do the first side glue 2 pieces of cord at the four corners of your frame, forming an "x". This is how you will hang it. Cover the corner with ribbon to hide the cord! Keep gluing!! 

f. Cut an "x" mark on your plastic cap using a cutter. Pass your cord and bulb through your frame and then through the cut of the plastic cap and hang it!

g. Here's your light!! 


 I think it's pretty amazing, considering it costs less than 5 euro!! What do you think?? It also has a lot of fun possibilities! You could use sheer or silk ribbon, cut them all at the same length or even add some dangling beads and charms!!! It'll look amazing in a baby's room!
 If you try it, please link back! I'd be so happy to see your creations! 
 After my first tutorial, I decided to do my first giveaway when I reach 50 followers and my second (more spectacular) when I reach 100!! So.... show me some blog-love!! When I reach 50, I'll post with giveaway instructions!! 

Be happy! Create something fun! Ask your loved ones to help out and glue your fingers together! Kisses!

47 comments:

  1. That lampshade is awesome and creative. I'
    d hang it in my mansion anytime )

    I saw your comment on Doe Deere's blogazine under Ice Queen shoot for Harlow Magazine. Thanks you dear i styled it and made the dresses

    <3

    Leon

    ReplyDelete
  2. You DID?!?! OMG! That was a really awesome photo-shoot and Doe was a doll!! I'm very honored with your comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. how did I miss that blog crush comment! awww, you are too cute! I swear! well I have to say you continually blow me away with your craftiness! I mean seriously? how do you come up with these things? this lamp shade is wonderful! truly wonderful, and I am seriously planning on trying my hand at lampshade-ry in the near future! now what is this I am reading about a hotel renovation? that sounds like a lot of hard work, but also a lot of fun!

    I have to say that we have a draw :) you say you would love to have short hair and I would LOVE to have just a fraction of your crafting abilities! you really have a gift, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow ladies!!Thank you, thank you!! You seriously put a smile on my face!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wowowowowowow-this looks like something you would buy at a high end boutique for lots of $$$ and it cost under 5 euro! I loved your first tutorial- I don't think I'm crafty (or patient) enough to pull it off but I will definitely admire yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. τέλειο dimi μου πολύ όμορφη ιδέα μου έδωσες για το παιδικό μου δωμάτιο!!! χαχα έχουμε και το ίδιο μπιστόλι σιλικόνης!!! τα φιλάκια μου!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow I am impressed! That was really cool, I would have never thought of that myself! Oh I hope that you do more of these :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome idea! Your lamp shade looks really really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all my lovely friends!! I wasn't sure you're gonna like the tutorial idea! But since everybody is so positive, I'll give out more tips!!
    Stay tuned for decorating tips and some jewellery making in the future!! Kisses :)

    p.s. - Αγαπητή νεραϊδίτσα, το πιστόλι αυτό με έχει φτάσει στην απελπισία πολλές φορές, διότι στάζει και κολλάνε τα πάντα... Το δικό σου???

    ReplyDelete
  10. Έχεις μπει σε creative mode? Μπράβο σου κοριτσάκι! Άντε, τώρα που πήρες φόρα να δούμε κι άλλα! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Όλα κι όλα... η φτώχεια θέλει καλοπέραση dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are soooo talented dimi! I am so impressed!

    Leia

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was fantastic! You are so creative and it turned out amazing =)
    And thank you so much for all of your lovely comments on my blog, you are just the sweetest girl ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you girls!! You make me a proud, crazy, artistic person with all those lovely comments!! My face hurts from all the smiling!!!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous lamp!! you are fantasticc, great idea and thanks for sharing :D

    xx

    Have a nice weekend :)

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The finished product is gorgeous!!! I love it. I wish that I had talent so I could do this.
    But I don't.
    Because I suck.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Bonnie! You may suck... but I like my friends a bit cynical with a twist!! I love your vlogs!

    ReplyDelete
  18. χαχαχαχα και μένα μου σπάει τα νεύρα άσε που ρουφάει την σιλικόνη στο λεπτό δεν το προλαβαίνω χαχα!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Χιχι! Κι εγώ νόμιζα ότι κάτι του κάνω!! Το άτιμο!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. it turned out so nicely! we indeed have things in common including decorating=) excellent job Dimi!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you my dear!! I'm glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow this is so cool. I just found your blog and I wish I was more crafty but I think I could actually do this one. Such a cute fun idea for a bedroom or anywhere in the house
    Love the ribbon idea
    Following you now, congrats on your followers.
    xoDale
    I have a fashion blog here in San Francisco
    www.savvyspice.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun tutorial! I actually think I could do it, too. Maybe. If I tried really hard. Yes, I think I could. I like all the possibilities there are, too, like you mentioned. I like the idea of sheer ribbon all the same length. Pink would be fun, but black would be really sweet, wouldn't it?!

    Love to you! Hope you are well and enjoying your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you Dale! And welcome! I'll follow back :)

    And Ashley, yes!! You can do it! And when you do, send me pics!! Black would be awesome!! Kisses :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aaaaaaaaaaaa einai teleioooooooooooooooo!!!!M aresei apisteuta poluuuuuuuuuu!!!Thes na to baloume sto bhma bhma???To agapwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you dear!! Να το βάλετε, γιατί όχι? Δεν ξέρω τι είναι το βήμα-βήμα, αλλά πολύ ωραίο μου ακούγεται!!! Έχω φτιάξει και μισό σε μεγαλύτερο μέγεθος.... αλλά ξέμεινα από κορδέλα και πρέπει να πάω Αθήνα! (όποιος δεν έχει μυαλό κ.λ.π.....! Χιχι). Σε φιλώ τρελοκόριτσο!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Amazing!!!! Oh My I love this!!! Beautiful Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Me poluuuuuuuu agaph koritsaraaaaa http://stepbystepgr.blogspot.com/2011/05/blog-post_8191.html

    Elpizw na s aresei!!!

    Kai pali mprabo sou einai kataplhktiko!!!

    Polla filiaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  29. ΜΠΡΑΒΟ DIMI !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ΜΠΡΑΒΟ ΚΑΙ ΣΤΟ ΒΗΜΑ ΒΗΜΑ ΠΟΥ ΤΟ ΑΝΑΚΑΛΥΨΕ!!!!!
    ΑΚΟΜΗ ΚΑΙ ΓΙΑ ΤΟ ΚΑΜΠΙΝΓΚ ΕΙΝΑΙ ΤΕΛΕΙΟ!!!!!!
    ΘΑ ΤΟ ΔΟΚΙΜΑΣΩ!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Anne - Τhank you sweety!!

    @Happy Kathy - Κοριτσάκι μου σε ευχαριστώ πάρα πολύ!!! Είσαι γλύκα! Ούτε που το ήξερα το ωραίο αυτό blog!! Είσαι φοβερή!!

    @Rena - Ευχαριστώ Ρενούλα (έχεις και το όνομα της μανούλας μου!!). Δοκίμασε το!! Για το κάμπινγκ είναι πολύ χρήσιμο και θα ήθελα να δω κι άλλες παραλλαγές! Αν βάλεις σκουρόχρωμες κορδέλες δημιουργεί και πιο ωραίο, έμμεσο φωτισμό! Καλή σου μέρα!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. ΚΑΛΗΜΕΡΑ DIMI!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ΘΑ ΜΑΖΕΨΩ ΤΑ ΥΛΙΚΑ ΚΑΙ ΘΑ ΤΟ ΦΤΙΑΞΩ!!!!
    ΘΑ ΣΑΣ ΤΟ ΔΕΙΞΩ ΝΑ ΜΟΥ ΠΕΙΤΕ ΤΗΝ ΓΝΩΜΗ ΣΑΣ!!!!!!!!
    ΕΥΧΑΡΙΣΤΩ ΠΟΥ ΕΠΙΣΚΕΦΤΗΚΕΣ ΤΟ ΣΠΙΤΑΚΙ ΜΟΥ!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Χαρά μου! Πολύ ωραίες οι εικόνες σου!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Σ' ευχαριστώ Κωνσταντίνα! Καλώς μας ήρθες!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Α ωραίο και εύκολο φαίνεται,ευχαριστούμε!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Να'σαι καλά Ρένα!! Ευχαριστώ για το follow! Ένας ακόμα και θα κάνουμε giveaway!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is awesome! I might just have to make one of these days.. maybe on the weekend.. :-)


    All the best, Angel

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awesome work! This looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you girls!!! It was a bigger hit than I expected!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Very cute!! Thanks for posting this. So useful. <3 I'll def. link back if I make one. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  40. I just discovered your blog and it is so divine...I really adore this diy and for a first DIY it is pretty spectacular xxx thank you for sharing I am definitely trying it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Thank you IRENE!!
    And thank you Karin! That's so sweet!!
    I can't wait to see what you'll both make!!
    See you!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Okay, totally making one of these for my little girlies! Love!

    ReplyDelete
  43. That makes me so proud Wendy!! Welcome, thanks for following and don't forget to send a pic of your design!! Kisses :)

    ReplyDelete